Saturday, February 2, 2008

The 10 Expressions of God's Name in Psalm 23

YHWH - Yahweh – “I am” = The LORD -- Jehovah

PS 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

PS 23:2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,

PS 23:3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

PS 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;

your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

PS 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

PS 23:6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

(KJV) The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

1. Jehovah Ra’ah (the Lord my Shepherd) v1 – action: FOLLOW HIM

The shepherd is concerned for the sheep and cares for them.

a. Sheep needs to eat grass themselves – the shepherd does not feed them!

b. Sheep needs to follow and keep in the path of the shepherd (staff – to keep in line, rod – to protect)

(difference between goats and sheep – goats are driven but sheep are led)

c. Sheep needs to submit – for shearing and for sacrifice

d. Sheep begets sheep

2. Jehovah Jireh (the Lord my Provider) v2a – action: TRUST HIM

the shepherd knows where the best pasture is and where there are poisonous weeds

3. Jehovah Shalom (the Lord my Peace) v2b – action: REST IN HIM

we have peace with God through Christ and now daily we can have peace of God

4. Jehovah Rapha (the Lord my Healer) v3a – action: ASK HIM IN FAITH

disease starts from dis-ease in our soul(mind, emotions) – healing comes from the Holy Spirit through our spirits to our souls and bodies

5. Jehovah Tsidkenu (the Lord my Righteousness) v3b – action: WALK WITH HIM

We have nothing good in ourselves (beware of self-righteous attitude). Let us live in His righteousness (our position in Christ) and live by His righteousness (our practical outworking of our position)

6. Jehovah Shammah (the Lord my Present Help) v4 – action: BE BOLD IN HIM

Do not fear, His Presence is near! Let us practise living in the present in His presence.

(talk to him wherever, whenever; praise him often; keep short a/cs with God)

7. Jehovah Nissi (the Lord my Banner) v5a – action: ENJOY HIM

I feast with God as the enemy looks on. His Banner over me is LOVE.

8. Jehovah Meqadashkem (the Lord my Sanctifier) v5b– action: BE HOLY LIKE HIM

To anoint one’s head and pour wine in a cup are signs of hospitality and friendship.

the oil and wine speaks of the Holy Spirit given to us to have overflowing joy, setting us apart for holy living. We are sanctified to serve.

9. Jehovah Cha’nan (kawnan=favours) (the Lord my Grace) v6a – action: LIVE IN HIS GRACE

Goodness = getting from God what we do not deserve – LIFE

Mercy = NOT getting from God what we do deserve – DEATH

will follow me = we are saved by grace through faith and we live by grace through faith

10. Jehovah Adonai (the LORD my Lord) v6b – action: SURRENDER TO HIM

He is the Master of the house and I will serve Him as a servant (bond slave – willingly having my ear pierced (Ex 21:6) to be a servant for life)

He is also my Father and I willingly serve Him as a son out of love and gratitude (cf. the prodigal son’s elder brother)

What is our response to all these 10 expressions of God’s character?

No comments: