Monday, July 23, 2012

My Story 2


I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord on 26 Oct 1978. A few weeks later after the A level exams, I attended a youth cell group of a church. Among these were some of my schoolmates. We sang some worship songs and went into a time of free worship and praise.  All of us could feel the Lord's presence in the room.

As I bowed my head in worship, my lips started to feel a tingling sensation as if words were trying to be formed and to be released out of my mouth. I started to speak (though it sounded at the time like babbling) a language I could not understand. This continued for at least 10 minutes or so. No one stopped me or questioned what I was saying. Everyone in the room was caught up in worship of the Lord Jesus.

Later that week, I realised through my cell members that what I experienced was termed the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Jesus had sovereignly chosen to baptise me with the Holy Spirit like He promised. This experience has made me desire a deeper and closer walk with God.

The language I had spoken which I did not understand was a spiritual language and the experience is often referred to as "speaking in tongues".

I learnt that as I daily speak in this language, I will edify my spirit man hence making me more sensitive to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. 

Over the years, I have used this spiritual language mainly in personal communion with the Lord but on occasions He has also led me to speak forth in a congregational setting and allowed me to interpret what I said in tongues or what others spoke in tongues for the edification of the church. 

Learning to speak in tongues also help to tune my spirit to God's Spirit so that He could use me to speak forth prophetic words of encouragement and edification in various church settings.

Another benefit of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is the desire to read and act upon God's written word - the Bible. I have read through the Bible many times (even once reading the whole Bible over a 6 month period). The love for God's Word has not abated over the years. 

Dear brethren in the faith, I adjure you to seek this gift of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. You will be so enriched and empowered to walk closer to our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

No comments: